At Kildare’s Irish Pub, instead of tortilla chips, they use house made potato chips for their nachos…Irish Craic Nachos, that is. The chips come topped with Melted Cheese, Guacamole, Salsa and Sour Cream.
Sounds totally vegetarian. A few red flags go up for me…as they tend to especially at bars.
- What oil were the chips cooked in?
- Does the cheese have rennet?
- Does the guacamole have gelatin?
Solution? Go out for the drinks! Come home for the food. This takes all of like 2 minutes to put together and heat.
- Kettle Chips, Unsalted variety
- *Mexican Rice (Don’t have? Don’t worry. I just threw it on cause I had it left over.)
- *Old El Paso Vegetarian Refried Beans (If don’t think you can work a can opener while tipsy, please refrain. Thank you.)
- *Vlasic Pepper Rings
- Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie snack pack
- Daiya Shredded Cheddar Cheese
[*not necessary; I didn’t have salsa or sour cream, so I improvised to satisfy my craving.]
Judging from the ingredients’ listings on the products I used, these chips are totally vegetarian…and possibly even vegan. If you decide to make the original Kildare’s recipe but want to keep it vegan, don’t just skip the conventional sour cream, try the vegan alternative! No matter how you put your twist on them, your traditional tortilla chips now have some competition.